Library cards are free to any person who lives in Davidson County or within the Goodlettsville city limits.
Use your library card to borrow library materials, reserve a computer, download eBooks and music, search electronic databases, and more. You may use your library card at any Nashville Public Library branch.
Apply for a Card
You may apply for a library card online or in person at any library location.
If you apply online, your access will be limited to our online databases and downloads until you present a photo ID and proof of address at a Nashville Public Library location.
Online Library Card Application
If you apply in person, your card will allow you immediate access to all library materials. When you apply you will need to present your photo ID and proof of address.
Accepted forms of ID:
You must have a photo ID, proof of your date of birth and proof of your current street address. Any combination of documents that satisfy these requirements can be provided. Examples could include:
- Driver's License or Learner's Permit
- School ID (if under 18)
- Military ID
- ID Only with Date of Birth
- Piece of mail postmarked in the last month
- Pay stub issued in the last month
- Voters registration card
- Lease/deed agreement
- Current utility bill dated within one month
Guard your card
Please treat your card with the same care you would a credit card. You are responsible for everything checked out on it. Contact the library immediately if your card is lost or stolen. Replacement cards are $1. Please notify us of any change in your address. For the fastest and most convenient service, bring your card with you to check out materials.
Cards for Young Adults (ages 14 – 17)
You must have a photo ID, proof of your date of birth and proof of your current street address. See acceptable ID listed above.
A parental signature is not required for a Young Adult card application. If the applicant does not have the required documentation, a parent/guardian may need to show proof of ID and address for the Young Adult.
Cards for Children (under age 14)
An adult parent/guardian/guarantor, 18 or older, must be present to apply for a library card for a Child. The child must reside in Davidson County or within the Goodlettsville city limits to receive an in-county card.
The adult/parent/guardian/guarantor will be financially responsible for the library card.
The adult/parent/guardian/guarantor must provide the following:
- One of the approved forms of identity for the adult and the adult birth date.
- One of the approved proofs
of current address for them if their form of identity does not have the current address listed.
- One of the approved proofs of current address for the child if they live in separate households.
Cards are available to Tennessee residents who live outside of Davidson County. Apply in-person at any Nashville Public Library location. The annual fee for non-resident membership is $50. In-library use of materials and online services are available at no charge, regardless of residence.
Complimentary Non-Resident library cards will be issued to persons who can prove they are:
- Tennessee State Legislators
- Metro Government employees and Metro School employees
- Nashville Public Library volunteers who complete 20 hours of service in one year
- Students living in on-campus housing in Davidson County or within the Goodlettsville city limits (will need to verify permanent home address)
Second approved user
Adults may wish to allow another adult to pick up holds or pay fines on their accounts. To do this, include their information when you register for your card, or fill out an approved user form at a later date.
Parents and adult guarantors have access to their child’s account, and may designate a second adult to share access by indicating this on their child’s (up to 14 yrs.) registration form. They may also fill out an approved user form at a later date to activate this option.
3-month courtesy cards are available to persons temporarily residing in Davidson County, as well as others who reside in county but do not have a permanent address. The card will allow checkout of one item at a time. The card may be renewed for an additional 3 months. To obtain a courtesy card, patrons must:
- Provide an approved form of identity AND
- A letter on facility letterhead stating that the person resides at this location. (Example: Ronald McDonald House, Union Rescue Mission, Extended Stay hotel, etc.) OR
- Mail that has been addressed to and received by them at that location within the past 2 weeks. Sorry, but the library cannot accept Post Office box numbers as addresses.
Nashville Public Library Educator Cards are a special privilege granted to educators employed by institutions and facilities that educate or care for children/students in Davidson County or within the Goodlettsville city limits. MNPS teachers must obtain their Educator Card through the Limitless Libraries program. All other teachers (private, certified home school, licensed child-care providers, professors, etc.) may obtain a card by applying in person at any NPL location. The Educator Card is intended to benefit the children/students and may be used to check out items for educational use only.
- Educators may have both a personal library card and an Educator Card. A patron’s personal library card account must be in good standing in order to receive or renew an Educator Card.
- Educator Cards expire annually on July 31.
Applying for or Renewing and Educator Card
Non-MNPS teachers (private, certified home school, licensed child-care providers, professors, etc.) may obtain an Educator Card by applying in person at any NPL location and presenting an approved form of identity and current address, in addition to one of the following for the current school year:
- School ID badge
- Copy of a contract confirming employment
- Printout of online pay information
- Home school certificate
Educator Cards must be renewed and eligibility confirmed each year by presenting the Educator card and approved form of teacher identification.
- The Educator Card may be used to check out up to 50 items at a time, including a maximum of 10 rated G, PG or PG-13 DVDs.
- Checkout period for books, audiobooks and music CDs is 6 weeks.
- Checkout period for DVDs is 7 days.
- All other NPL card rules apply.