615 Church Street
, TN 37219
Children's Department Closure for Renovation
Beginning June 28, 2015, Main Library's Children's Department and Theatre on the second floor are closed for renovation. We apologize for the inconvenience, but know you will enjoy the results of our make-over!
- June 28 – July 5: Children's Department and Theatre Closed (No children's events or access to materials)
- June 28 - August: No on-site programming
- July 5: Temporary Children's Collection opens in Special Collections Center on 2nd Floor
- Mid-August (date TBA): Wishing Chair programming resumes (Theatre will be accessible via Courtyard)
- Mid-November (TBA): Re-opening
From I-40, exit at Church St. and drive towards downtown. The Main Library is located on Church Street, between 6th and 7th Avenues in downtown Nashville.
From Music City Central, walk South on 5th Ave. to Church St. Turn right on Church St.. The Library is on Church St., between 6th and 7th Ave.
Free Parking is offered for the first ninety minutes in the Library Garage. Entrances to the garage are on Sixth and Seventh Avenues between Church and Commerce Streets in downtown. Ten 20-minute parking spots are designated in the garage, immediately outside the door to the library. Accessible parking for persons with disabilities is available on the fourth level of the garage near the entrance to the library. Be advised that the height limit for vehicles is 7 feet 2 inches.
You may notice a sign that says "Library and Monthly Parkers Only." This sign indicates that while the garage may be full, there are still reserved spaces for library users available. If you fail to find a parking space, you will be able to leave the garage without charge. Here is a map of all of the public parking downtown; many of the lots are very convenient to the library.
The Library Parking Garage is owned by Metro Government. The Downtown Partnership (242-9909) is responsible for upkeep of the garage, including security, cleaning, elevators and escalators.
Central Parking (254-1741) is responsible for collecting parking fees and determining when the lot must close when it is full.
Main Library Parking Rates:
- First 90 minutes of parking: FREE with library validation
- 90 minutes - 2 hours: $1.50
- Each additional half-hour: $1.00
- Weekdays: $10.00 daily maximum
- After 6pm and Weekends: $5.00 daily maximum
- In order to receive parking validation for free and reduced-rate parking, bring your parking ticket to the security desk in the Main Library's entry hall.
- Central Parking information on this garage
Main Carnegie Library opened in 1904. In 1965, the New Main Public Library opened on Eighth and Union and was designated the Public Library of Nashville & Davidson County with its formal dedication in January, 1966. This library was designated as Ben West Library in 1977. On June 9, 2001 the new 300,000 sq. ft. Main Library building designed by Robert A.M. Stern Architects opened to the public.