Social Media and Blog Guidelines for Using, Commenting, and More
By accessing NPL’s blog and social media sites, as well as interacting with content there, you are agreeing to be bound by these terms, all applicable laws and regulations, and any other applicable policies, terms and guidelines established by NPL and those of any third parties that host our sites (such as Facebook or Twitter).
NPL staff maintain and edit the content posted to NPL-affiliated social media sites. The Social Media Policy works in conjunction with the library’s Internet Use Policy, which is intended to govern on-site use.
What You Should Know
The Library Owns the Content.
What This Means: NPL can use content without limits.
The content provided on NPL’s blog and official social media sites is owned by Metro Government of Nashville & Davidson County, unless otherwise indicated.
As an agency of Metro, NPL reserves all rights relating to these channels.
This includes but is not limited to:
- adding, removing, or modifying any content
- monitoring, prohibiting, restricting, blocking, suspending, terminating, deleting, discontinuing a person’s access to these channels
- removing, deleting, blocking, filtering or restricting, by any means, any materials you post
- disclosing your communications and activities with Metro, including in response to lawful requests by governmental authorities.
- using all content posted to these channels without limitations – including, but not limited to: comments, photographs, content in which you tag NPL or use an NPL hashtag
- reporting to authorities immediately upon receipt any threats of violence, which should be taken seriously
The Library Reserves All Rights to Moderate All Content – Including User-Generated Content.
What This Means: NPL can change the content you post without limits.
NPL account administrators have a responsibility to monitor and review all content that is associated with the department or posted on its behalf.
The Library Has No Liability to You Related to Your Use of The Service - Including Privacy and Security
What This Means: You read, contribute, click on, and otherwise use at your own risk.
You agree that, Metro will have no liability to you related to your use of the services provided.
You warrant or represent that you own the rights or have the rights to use any content you post on NPL affiliated social media sites. Use of the services constitutes an agreement to indemnify NPL and Metro, their employees and officers, from and against all liabilities, judgements, damages, and costs (including attorney’s fees) incurred which may arise out of or are related to posted content.
By accessing these sites, you agree that in no event shall NPL be liable to you or to any other party for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential, or exemplary damages, including but not limited to:
- damages for loss of profits;
- or other intangible losses arising out of the use of NPL's blog or official social media sites, regardless of whether we were advised of the possibility of such damage.
Links posted in user comments are not verified by NPL, and users shall use discretion when clicking on unverified content. The inclusion of any link does not imply NPL's sponsorship, endorsement, affiliation, or approval of the clicked website.
In the event you discover problems with or have concerns regarding the subject matter, format, accuracy, timeliness or completeness of a linked external website, please contact the organization responsible for that website.
NPL does not represent that the information on NPL’s blog and official social media sites is accurate, complete, reliable, useful, timely, or current. Additionally, NPL does not endorse the views or opinions expressed on these channels unless expressly stated. NPL is not responsible for any content posted by users, including posts made by employees or agents who are not authorized administrators.
The materials on these sites are provided "as is." NPL makes no warranties, express or implied, and hereby disclaims and negates all other warranties, including without limitation, implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of intellectual property or other violation of rights.
Further, NPL does not warrant or make any representations concerning the accuracy, likely results, or reliability of the use of the materials on these sites or otherwise relating to such materials or on any sites linked to these sites.
The Library Is Bound by Records Retention Rules
What this means: A record of your usage and content will likely exist.
All designated Metro government social media accounts shall follow archive guidelines set forth by the Public Records Commission.
Here’s A General Outline of How NPL Moderates User-Generated Content
NPL is an intellectual freedom institution and a marketplace for the exchange of ideas. We balance our commitment to open and free dialogue with our commitment to safety, civility, and respect for all people.
To achieve this balance, here are some examples of why the comments, questions, and other content you post to NPL’s blog and official social media sites might be removed, blocked, filtered, or otherwise changed.
- Content is fraudulent, libelous, harassing, profane, obscene, intimidating, sexually explicit, defamatory, or otherwise unlawful or appropriate;
- Content promotes or perpetuates discrimination, mistreatment of, or violence toward any person on the basis of race, gender, color, religion, age, national origin, disability, creed, gender identity, or sexual orientation;
- Content targets any ethnic, racial, age or religious group, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity or disability status;
- Content is proprietary or confidential information (e.g., HIPAA-protected information);
- Content potentially infringes upon any intellectual property rights, including but not limited to: brand names, trade names, logos, copyrights, or trade secrets of any person, business or place;
- Content is advertising/solicitation;
- Information might compromise the safety or security of the public, Metro Government employees, or those in the care of Metro Government;
- Content endorses illegal behavior or activity that violates any law or regulation;
- Content is deemed to be off-topic or disruptive to the purposes of the site, its followers, and its sense of community and acceptance;
- Content might be posted by fake, impersonated, or anonymous users;
- Content might be posted in an attempt to transmit any material (by any means) that contains malware;
- Content is a question or comment related to site moderation (to share these types of questions and comments, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (615) 862-5760 and ask to speak with NPL’s marketing director).
This list is not exclusive or exhaustive.
These rules apply to any and all interaction with NPL’s blog and official social media accounts, including but not limited to: comments, replies, messages, and tagging of accounts.
If multiple incidences occur, the social media team may determine it is necessary to block the user from the account.