Summer Reading Challenge 2023 is a Wrap!
The votes are in! Our first place nonprofit winner in Summer Reading Challenge community giving is . . .
Nashville Humane Association!
And citywide, participants logged an impressive 200,170 days of reading!
Thank you to all three nonprofits — Book 'em, Nashville Humane Association, and Oasis Center — for being a part of this year's Summer Reading Challenge. And thank you, Nashville, for helping us support the work of these dedicated organizations. We hope you'll be inspired to keep the spirit of community giving going, all year long.
See you next summer!
How to Participate
Individuals and Families
- Register for Summer Reading via our website, in the Beanstack app, or keep track with a paper log. If you signed up for Summer Reading in Beanstack last year, your account is still there. Just log in and join this year's challenge!
- Log your days read and track activities completed.
- For every 15 days read (up to 60 days) you'll earn a coupon and a ticket.
- For each month of activities completed you'll earn another coupon and ticket.
- Redeem your tickets and coupons.
- Vote for the charity of your choice by putting your tickets in their virtual bucket in the Beanstack app.
- Receive freebies and discounts around town by spending your coupons.
Participants may sign up as a group if they are part of a daycare, summer camp, senior center, or other organization. Families may not participate as groups. They must register each member individually.
Participants who complete the program as a group are also allowed (and encouraged!) to complete the program individually to redeem individual-program prizes.
To sign up as a group, please contact your local library branch.
This year, we're doing something different. Instead of winning a prize for each reading goal, we're focusing on giving.
For each reading goal (15, 30, 45, 60 days), you'll earn a ticket you can use to vote for one of three non-profit organizations. At the end of Summer Reading, the Nashville Public Library Foundation will make a donation to each non-profit. The non-profit with the most votes gets the biggest donation.
But readers won't leave empty handed! Participants earn coupons good at various Nashville businesses at each reading milestone.
Receive a reusable Nashville Public Library bag.
15, 30, 45, or 60 Days Reading Prizes
- Earn a ticket for each 15 days read. Each ticket can be spent to vote for one of three non-profits.
- Earn a coupon for each 15 days read.
Activity Completion Prizes
- Earn a ticket for completing activities in June. Each ticket can be spent to vote for one of three non-profits.
- Earn one ticket for completing activities in July. Each ticket can be spent to vote for one of three non-profits.
Grand Prize Drawings
At the end of Summer Reading, each library location will have a drawing for a $150 gift card to a local bookstore.
Track Reading Online Using Beanstack
Beanstack is a service for tracking reading. Nashville Public Library uses Beanstack to manage our reading programs. Metro Nashville Public Schools (MNPS) also uses Beanstack for reading programs. If your child is a student at MNPS, you can link their school and public library Beanstack accounts.
Link your library and school Beanstack profiles!
Make sure all your logged reading counts at school too. That means more challenges, badges, and achievements—with less work!
Download a PDF instruction sheet or follow the instructions below.
- Log in to your Beanstack account by going to nashville.beanstack.org.
- Find the "Link Profile" button at the top of your Beanstack homepage.
- Select your school and enter your school login information.
- Your profiles are linked. Now you can log reading and earn minutes read in both NPL and MNPS reading programs all in one place!
Paper Reading Logs
Print a Log
Print a log to keep track of your reading on paper.
Individual Reading Logs
Find a Log
Summer Reading Challenge logs are available at supporting organization locations in the Nashville community.
- Frist Art Museum
- Country Music Hall of Fame
- Hispanic Family Foundation
- Conexión Américas
- Curious Capybara
- McKay’s Nashville
- Parnassus Books